In today’s guide we are going to learn how to install a Custom Recovery and root Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. It’s one of the latest devices released by Sony and its developement is a bit more difficult than other devices.
Actually it’s not difficult, it’s more technical and requires to follow several steps. We have covered all this steps in a single article and this guide will take you step by step into the process of installing a custom recovery and rooting Xperia Z3 Compact.
It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or a professional. The steps provided below should be takes step by step and make sure not to miss even a single one otherwise you may experience various problems with th software or even you may end in bricking your device if you don’t follow each of the steps below carefully.
We shall not held any kind of responsibility for any damage that may happen to your phone. If you don’t know what root is and how you can handle with it then do some searches before and then come here to root your Xperia Z3 Compact. We only provide the guide but only you can decide to go further or not. So if you wanna root your Sony Xperia Z3 do it at your own risk.
Getting things ready
- This guide will work only on Xperia Z3 Compact with the firmware version D58XX. To check the firmware version of your phone simply go to Settings > About Device and you will see the device model there.
- Always make a backup of your current ROM just if any thing go wrong you still can revert back to your current ROM. We recommend you to do a Nandroid backup but if you don’t have a Custom Recovery installed you can use third-party apps as well.
- This guide will delete every file so make sure you have saved somewhere else your precious files.
- Charge your phone up to 70% so it won’t go dead during the rooting process. If it shuts down unexpectedly it might result it bricking your device.
How to root Xperia X3 Compact D58XX
- In this method we are goind to use fastboot to gain root on Xperia Z3 compact. So first of all you will need to set up Android development environment correctly. You will need to download and install ADB drivers on your PC.
- You must unlock the bootloader in order to root Xperia Z3 Compact. Once you have unlocked the bootloader continue to the next step. If you don’t know how to do that, find it here.
- The next step is to download a Custom Recovery for your device. Download it from here. Extract the zip file and rename the CWM Recovery to boot.img
- Download SuperSU on your PC and save it to a place when you can easily find it.
- Enable USB Debugging. To do that go to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging. If there is no Developer Options under settings then you have to enable them by following this guide.
- Your device must be connected to PC at this point.
- The next step is to start rooting process. Open a Command Prompt window on your computer. Go to the folder you have installed Android SDK and go to Platform-Tools and check for the file fastboot.exe but do not click it. In this folder press and hold Shift key and then right-click any empty space and choose Open command window here.
- Make sure your phone is connected properly to computer and in the command prompt window type the following code:
abd reboot bootloader
- You will see your phone restarting and it will enter in booloader mode. Once your phone is in bootloader mode, type this code in the command prompt:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- This will install CWM Custom Recovery on your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Wait for the flashing process to finish and once it’s done type the following code in command prompt:
- Your phone will reboot and and the custom Recovery is installed on it. The next step is to copy the SuperSU file from your computer to your phone internal memory. Once you do that boot your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact in Recovery. To do that follow this stepsTurn of your phone completely. Press and hold Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. Xperia Z3 Compact will boot into Recovery.
- In Recovery Navigate to the install zip > Choose zip from SD Card and select the SuperSU file you have downloaded.
- SuperSU file will be flashed in your phone.
- Now select Reboot phone and you are done.
Wait for your phone to turn on normally and go to app drawer. You should see SuperSU listed among all your other installed apps. To check if you really have root access, install Root Checker from Play Store.