After Samsung dropped support for Galaxy S3 and even didn’t update it to KitKat, no one could imagine that Galaxy S3 will receive Android 5.0 Lollipop. It’s not an official update, but only a Custom ROM created to test Lollipop features on Galaxy S3.
Samsung Galaxy S3 is the most popular Android smartphone, and that’s why developers still work on it. They create ROMs and Kernels so your Galaxy S3 will never die. Even though you can’t install official updates from Samsung, always will be a Custom ROM around there available to download and install it on your phone and make it even better than the official updates.
We have seen lot of devices receiving unofficially Android 5.0 Lollipop in past few weeks. Almost all Nexus devices and some Samsung phones have receives builds of Lollipop. Even Galaxy S3 mini received that build before it.
Thanks to XDA Senior Member known as arter97 who create a working build for Samsung Galaxy S3. It’s not advisable to use it as your daily ROM because it’s not stable. There are many things that don’t work. It is only to test how Android 5.0 Lollipop fits on Galaxy S3. Developers still are working to create stable ROM, but it will be a little difficult since the Samsung doesn’t support anymore the Galaxy S3.
- Arter97 kenel: download here.
- Galaxy S3 Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM: download here.
- Custom Recovery. Find and download one.
Install AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM on Galaxy S3
- This procedure is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT – I9300.
- Move the ROM file to clockworldmod > backupbackup folder.
- Boot into Recovery and wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache and Data.
- Go to Backup and Restore > Restore from SDcard and restore Lollipop ROM
- Flash arter97 kernel.
- Reboot your phone.
- That’s all.