Download and install the latest Android KitKat update to Sony Xperia Z2. It have been a long time since we have heard some rumors about the Android 4.4.4 KitKat release for Xperia Z2, but they were all rumors. Only yesterday on XDA forum members was posted something about the new Android update for Xperia Z2.
No one could believe it if the developer wouldn’t have linked the photo of the Firmware in the thread. Now Android 4.4.4 KitKat is available to download and install on your Sony Xperia Z2. Also you might have heard before that Sony says that the new update will bring changes and improvements to Xperia Z2. Sony also promised that Xperia Z3 features will be included in this update.
The Build Number has changed, the new one is 23.0.1.A.0.32, but however the certified number is 23.0.1.A.0.167. After updating to Android 4.4.4 KitKat Sony Xperia Z2 will receive the same UI like Xperia Z3. Other features that will be included in the update are: Screen Record, the ability to set up a DualShock 4 gaming controller, Ultra Stamina Mode and a few others. The firmware is official but not from Sony so it is available only in zip file so you have to flash it like a custom ROM.
To install it you need a Custom Recovery installed on your devivce and also your phone must be rooted. This guide is only for Xperia Z2 D6503. So before starting the flashing procedure be sure that your phone is the same like the phone mentioned here. To view phone model number go to Settings > About Device and check the model number of your phone. Flashing this ROM in other device may result in bricking it.
Table of Contents
- Battery should be at least charged up to 70% so you will be sure that your device won’t go dead during the flashing procedure. If it goes down may cause software brick and you have to install stock ROM and wipe the data as well.
- Flash a custom recovery, you can install either TWRP or CWM. It is suggested to install TWRP custom recovery in this case. So be sure to install it and not CWM.
- Backup everything. This is needed in case everything goes wrong. Even though this method is tested, things can happen. So be sure to backup everything if something happen during the procedure.
Download the Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM for Sony Xperia Z2. Link
How To Install It
- Connect your phone to PC.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the root folder of your SD card.
- Remove the phone from PC.
- Turn off the phone.
- Turn it on again. As soon as the green led turns on, press Volume Up for CWM recovery.
Installation For TWRP Users:
- Tap on Wipe Button and Select Cache, System Data.
- Swipe the confirmation Slider.
- Go to Main Menu and tap Instal Button.
- Find the Android 4.4.4 KitKat zip file and swipe the slider to install it.
- When the installation is over, you will have to reboot your phone.
- Select Reboot Now and wait till the System Reboot.
Solve Signature Verification Error:
- Open Recovery
- Go to install zip from SD Card
- Go to Toogle Signature Verification and press Power Button and see if it is disabled or not. If not, disable it and install the zip without any error.
- That’s all.
Go to Settings > About Device to verify that your Sony Zperia Z2 is running Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM.