In this post, you’re going to learn how to update Sony Xperia Z2 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. We have been hearing rumors for such long time about the release of Android 4.4 KitKat for Xperia Z2 but as I said they were just rumors.
Anyhow, if you can’t get an official update of Android 4.4 KitKat on your Xperia Z2 then you can install a custom ROM and which one would be the best rather then CyanogenMod.
Thanks to the amazing Android developers now you can install the CyanogenMod ROM on your Sony Xperia Z2 and update to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Usually, a custom ROM is better than the official stock firmware because it has more features and allows you to customize the device more in-depth.
Custom ROMs are free of bloatware and run pretty smooth. They are designed for a better user experience. The most popular ROM for Android is CyanogenMod and you should be happy that your Sony Xperia Z2 has received a fully working build of it.
The Build Number has changed, the new one is 23.0.1.A.0.32, but however, the certified number is 23.0.1.A.0.167. After updating to Android 4.4.4 KitKat Sony Xperia Z2 will receive the same UI as Xperia Z3. Other features that will be included in the update are Screen Record, the ability to set up a DualShock 4 gaming controller, Ultra Stamina Mode and a few others.
To install CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat on Xperia Z2 you need a Custom Recovery installed on your device and also your phone must be rooted.
This guide is only for Xperia Z2 D6503. So before starting the flashing procedure be sure that your phone has the same model number as mentioned above. To view phone model number go to Settings > About Device and check the model number of your phone.
Flashing this ROM in other devices may result in bricking it.
Table of Contents
- Charge your phone up to 60% so it won’t shut down unexpectedly during the flashing process. If it does it may cause software brick and you need to install a stock ROM and wipe the data. Lot of work to do so charge your phone.
- A custom recovery is required. We recommend the latest build of TWRP but any other recovery works quite good as well.
- If you don’t want to lose your important files such as photos and videos make sure to save them somewhere else, maybe on your computer. It’s recommended to do a Nandroid backup via recovery so if you want to restore back it can be pretty easy.
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Sony Xperia Z2 | Download
How to install the ROM
- Connect your phone to PC.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the root folder of your SD card.
- Remove the phone from PC.
- Turn off the phone.
- Turn it on again. As soon as the green led turns on, press Volume Up for CWM recovery.
Installation For TWRP Users
- Tap on Wipe Button and Select Cache, System Data.
- Swipe the confirmation Slider.
- Go to Main Menu and tap install Button.
- Find the Android 4.4.4 KitKat zip file and swipe the slider to install it.
- When the installation is over, you will have to reboot your phone.
- Select Reboot Now and wait till the System Reboot.
Solve Signature Verification Error
- Boot into Recovery
- Go to install zip from SD card
- Go to Toggle Signature Verification and press the Power Button – Check if it’s disabled or not. If it’s not, simply disable it and should be able to install the zip without any error.
Go to Settings > About Device to verify that your Sony Xperia Z2 is running Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM.