Galaxy S6 SM-G920F and Galaxy S6 Edge SM-G925F are updated to Android 7.0 Nougat. Samsung has released an OTA update for these devices. Once a new version of Android is announced, developers update their apps also to work on the newest version of Android.
The same has happened with TWRP and now it supports Android 7.0 Nougat. If you want to play a bit with your Android device then you may want to install a custom recovery. In this post, we will walk through a step by step guide how to install TWRP on Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Android 7.0 Nougat firmware.
Since TWRP is updated now it can be installed on devices running Android Nougat firmware. If you are an Android freak who wants to experiment new things or simply you want to install TWRP on Galaxy S6 and S6 so you can later install the Galaxy S8 ROM and get all its features such as the new UX, apps and all the other optimisations it brings.
Disclaimer: We at DoryLabs don’t take any responsibility if you start the third world war, break up with your crush or simply you break your phone. Remember you are doing this at your own risk. If you don’t know what a custom recovery is then you better do a research and then come back to learn how to install it.
Well, if you make up your mind let’s go further and install TWRP recovery on Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.
- Charge your phone at least 60% so it won’t shut down unexpectedly during the installation process.
- Save your important files such as pictures, videos and documents just in case anything goes wrong. If you follow the steps carefully there are lower chances errors to happens.
- Install the proper USB drivers. Find the link below to download them.
How to install TWRP Custom Recovery on Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Android 7.0 Nougat firmware
- Download TWRP from the link above on your computer. You should get a file with a “.img.tar” extension. It should be something like “twrp-3.1.0-0-zeroflte.img.tar“.
- Make sure the USB drivers are installed correctly on your computer.
- Now open ODIN flash tool and click on the AP tab.
- Select the recovery file you downloaded from the link above.
- Turn off your phone and boot into Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power button at the same time.
- Once the phone boots into download mode, connect it to a computer via a USB cable.
- Make sure ODIN recognises the phone and the click START.
Odin will install TWRP recovery on Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge Nougat 7.0 firmware. The phone will reboot automatically and when it turns on you can reboot into recovery. To do so press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power button at the same time. Now your device should boot into TWRP recovery.