Today I’m going to share with you a step by step guide how to extract files from system.img. If you have ever messed up with Android devices and their file system you may know the importance of the system.img file. It’s the Android file system which contains all the files Android needs to work like the Framework, Dalvik VM, Applications, Initialization scripts and so on.
If you have ever flashed a Stock or a Custom ROM you may have seen the system.img because it’s the main file of Android. However sometimes you won’t need to flash the entire ROM but only a single module for a specific reason. No one want to change the entire firmware for only a few extra options. So the only way is to flash the specific module.
If you can’t find the file you are looking for in the internet or you don’t want to loose time checking for it the only way is to extract the file from system.img. I have found this guide very useful and easy in the same time so I’m going to share it with you. Below is a tutorial how to easily unpack a system.img file and extract the files using a Windows computer.
How To Extract System.img Files
- Download and extract Ext4 Unpacker on your computer, this file is for windows.
- Download and extract Ext2 Explore on your Windows computer.
- Go to the Ext4 Unpacker extracted folder and double click on setup.exe
- Once the Ext4 Unpacker is open click on the folder icon on the top-right corner.
- A new window will open and you have to select the system.img file you want to open.
- Once the file is loaded press Save as Ext4 button. It’s the button in the top-right corner close to the folder icon.
- Select where do you want to save the file and enter a name with the extension .ext4 and click save.
- Wait for the procces to finish. Usually it might take a few minutes.
- Now launch the Ext2explorer. Remember launch it as an Administrator otherwise it won’t work.
- Select the Ext4 file you created with Ext4 Unpacker.
- Wait for the file to be loaded and the highlight it.
- Press save button and select the location you want to save the extracted files.
- Wait for the proccess to finish and you are done.
- Go to the folder you select and check the files.
If you found this article useful and it helps you we would greatly appreciate if you click the Like button to appreciate our work. If you have any other question related to the extraction of System.img files feel free to ask in the comment section below.