Creating custom ROMs for Samsung devices was a bit difficult because the company refused to release the source code of Exynos chipset. Even though Samsung optimizes its own variant of Android named TouchWiz, there are plenty of people that doesn’t like its user interface, therefore, it’s needed to install a custom ROM.
You may have heard about CyanogenMod. It was the most popular custom ROM and it was based on stock Android. The best of CM ROMs is that they have a plethora of features, are free of bloatware and are designed to run smoothly. Unfortunately, the CyanogenMod team decided to stop creating ROMs after the release of CM 13 based on Android 6.0. Definitely, this wasn’t expected but however, a new custom ROM took its place.
So if you want to get the feeling of stock Android than Lineage OS is the successor of the CyanogenMod ROM. The good news is that you can download Lineage OS 14.1 Android 7.0 Nougat for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge because Samsung has released the source code for these devices.
Lineage OS 14.1 is the first custom ROM for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. More ROMs will be updated later but for now, you can give a try to Lineage OS 14.1 Android 7.0 Nougat.
In this article, we will walk through a step by step guide how to install Lineage OS 14.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. Without further ado let’s jump into the tutorial.
How to install LineageOS 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Take your phone and enable OEM Unlock under Developer Options. If you don’t know how to do it click here.
- Charge your phone up to 60% so it will not shut down unexpectedly during the process. If it does you may end up with a soft bricked device and you don’t want to mess up with that so charge your phone.
- Lineage OS 14.1 (herolte) | Download
- Lineage OS 14.1 (hero2lte) | Download
- Gapps for Lineage OS 14 | Download
- TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge | Download
How to install the ROM
- Make sure your phone is charged and you have already installed TWRP custom recovery. If you haven’t done yet click on the link above for a guide how to do it.
- Download LineageOS ROM as well as Gapps from the download section above and put them to your phone internal storage.
- Turn off the Galaxy S7 and boot it into recovery using the proper key combination. Press Home + Volume Up + Power Button.
- In recovery mode wipe data, cache and do a factory reset as well.
- Go to the install tab and select LineageOS ROM you already downloaded.
- Install also Gapps and reboot the phone.
The first boot may take a couple of minutes, more than usually because the phone needs to configure the system for first-time use. Simply wait and when the phone turns on it will be running Android 7.1 Nougat.
We would be happy to hear your thoughts about LineageOS Android 7.1 Nougat on Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge. Please share it with us in the comments below. Also if you have any question feel free to ask.