A Recovery Image is the system level software for your Android that allows you to perform several maintance and Android tasks. As usually every Android device has a stock recovery, but it is quite limited on what it allows you to do in your device. So it’s necessary to flash a Custom Recovery to gain full access of device’s administration.
A Custom Recovery imagelets you to perform the following tasks that in a stock Recovery you can’t:
- Make backups, restore and manage them on your phone operating system and software.
- Wipe your phone’s data and cache.
- Install a Custom ROM or application from a zip file to your device.
- Wipe Dalvik Cache and battery statistics.
- Mount, unmount and format your phone’s internal as well as external storage partitions.
- Make logos for error reporting and debbuging.
You can find many Custom Recoveries around the internet. The most prefered and most useful are TWRP and CWP. They offer you many options and have a simple and friendly user interface. You can easily navigate on these Custom Recoveries to perform any action. Below you are going to find a guide how to install TWRP Custom Recovery on Nexus 6.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery On Nexus 6
- Turn off your Nexus 6 device.
- Boot into bootloader/fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Button.
- Download the Custom Recovery from the downloads section above.
- Rename the Recovery file you downloaded to recovery.img
- Place the file in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
- Open Command Prompt and type the following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Using Volume Buttons navigate to “Restart Bootloader” and press the Power button to select it.
- After the bootloader reloads, using the Volume buttons navigate to “Recovery Mode” and press the Power Button so select it.
- The TWRP Custom Recovery is now installed and you should be great with that.
- Close the Command Promt window now.