Unlocking bootloader and rooting an Android device is the first step to enter in the awesome world of Android. After unlocking bootloader and rooting your phone you will have access to do anything on your phone. The next steps of customizing an Android device is installing a Custom Recovery which allows you to do even more things on your device like flashing Custom ROMs that sometimes are much better than the stock ROMs when it comes to performance.
Im this article we are going to talk only for the first steps of customizing an Android device. You will learn how to unlock bootloader and root your Nexus 6 device. Rooting your device gives you more benefits as the user. But Please Note that always are chances to get an error so be careful to follow in the right orders the steps below. Remind that errors can happens also due to faulty USB cables, USB ports, old or bad drivers installed on your computer, an active antivirus. So be sure to have tha latest drivers installed, use the original USB cable and disable the antivirus.
Before starting to unlcok bootloader and root Nexus 6 make sure that USB Debbuging are enabled. If you haven’t enabled them yet, you can do it by going to Settings > About Phone > and tap 7 times on Build Number. After you do that a message will appear “Now You Are a Developer”. Go again to Settings > Developer Options and check the box in front of USB Debbuging. Under Developer Options and make sure to check Enable OEM Unlock Box.
How To Unlock Bootloader On Nexus 6
- Turn off the phone. Then boot it into the bootloader/fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Button.
- Connect the phone to PC and then open a Command Promt window and type the following code.
This command will list the connected devices. So if you see your phone serial number on the list, then you are Ok and may continue for further steps. If it is not listed than your drivers are not installed properly. In order to continue you must fix drivers problem so that your device is listed under fastboot devices.
- If the phone is listed under fastboot devices you can continue to unlcok bootloader with the following command. This step will wipe everything on the phone.
fastboot oem unlock
A new window will pop-up asking you if you want to unlock bootloader. Use the Volume buttons to highlight “Yes” and the Power Button to confirm.
- After the command has finished executing, run the following code. Do not skip it. This step is more important than you think.
The phone will reboot. You will see a screen containing an Android logo and a Progress Bar. The first boot might take up more than ten minutes to finish so there is nothing to worry. Wait for the phone to boot successfully and than continue to the next step, rooting your Nexus 6. Close Command Prompt.
How To Root Nexus 6
In this post we are going to root Nexus 6 using the famous tool CF – Auto root, which is usually called rooting for beginners and for those who want to keep as stock as possible.
- Download the zip file from here.
- Boot your Nexus 6 in bootloader/fastboot mode. To do this turn off your device. Press and hold Volume Down + Volume Up + Power key at the same time.
- Plug your phone into PC using an USB cable.
- If you are using a Windows PC run root-windows.bat
- In Mac OS – chmod + x root-mac.sh. Run root-mac.sh
- Linux – chmod + xroot-linux.sh. Run root-linux.shc
Follow the on screen instruction and that’s all, your Nexus 6 device is now rooted.