Recently Sony has released the 5.0.2 Lollipop update for some of the Xperia devices including Xperia Z2. This was a good news for most of Xperia users that finally they will enjoy the Lollipop update without having to install a Custom ROM. After the Lollipop Update Xperia Z2 users can get root access but all the working Custom Recoveries that work in KitKat don’t work on Lollipop. If you haven’t updated your phone to Lollipop yet only because you can’t install a Custom Recovery, you can update it because now dual recovery can be installed on Xperia Z2 running Lollipop firmware.
By following the guide below you can install not only one but a dual recovery on your Xperia Z3 or Z2. After the installation you can choose either to use TWRP or Philz Touch Recovery. This guide will work on devices with a locked or unlocked booloader so you don’t have to run into hard and long guides to unlock bootloader. So without further ado let’s jump into the installation of a Custom Recovery on Sony Xperia Z2 or Z3 running a Lollipop Firmware.
Table of Contents
- Turn on USB Debugging on your phone.
- Make sure to backup all your important data because who knows something might go wrong and you don’t want to lose your personal files.
- Do not try install these files on other Xperia phone otherwise you will run into trouble.
How to install a Custom Recovery on Xperia Z3 & Z2 running Lollipop firmware
- Ensure USB Debugging are enabled.
- Download the Custom Recovery zip file from link above.
- Extract the zip and open the extracted folder.
- Connect your phone to PC through an USB cable.
- Look for installer.bat and double click on it to run.
- Your phone will automatically restart once the installation finishes.
- For the first time it will boot into the default Recovery.
- From Recovery reboot to system to allow the installer to clean up after installation.
- That’s all. Enjoy the Recovery on your Xperia Z2 or Z3.
Install the Recovey after installing a Custom ROM
You will need to flash the zip file from link above after installing the ROM but before you reboot otherwise you will lose recovery.
How to remove XZDualRecovery
To remove the recovery from your Sony Xperia Z2 or Z3 simply delete the following files:
- /system/bin/recovery.twrp.cpio.lzma (or .tar)
- /system/bin/recovery.cwm.cpio.lzma (or .tar)