How To Install Android 7.0 Nougat NRD90M On Nexus 6P
Google announced Android 7.0 Nougat few days ago and soon the supported devices will receive a OTA (over-the-air) notification to update to the new version of Android. If you can’t wait for the official notification you can install Android Nougat on your phone manually. In this post you are going to learn how to manually update Nexus 6P to NRD90M Android 7.0 Nougat.
Google started rolling the update to various devices and Nexus 6P is one of them. The official update may take a while to arrive to every country. But this doesn’t mean you have to wait. If you like to mess up with your device you can install Android 7.0 Nougat factory image on your Nexus 6P.
Android 7.0 Nougat OTA update files are available for various devices. Below you will find the downloading link and the steps to install Android 7.0 Factory Image on Nexus 6P. Make sure to follow the steps carefully and not skip any of them.
Early preparations before updating Nexus 6P to Android 7.0 Nougat
- I strongly recommend to back up all your important file such as photos, videos, documents etc.
- Download and install ADB/Fastboot on your computer. Follow this guide if you haven’t installed yet.
- Download and install the proper USB drivers for Nexus on your computer.
- Your Nexus 6P must have an unlocked bootloader. You will find a short guide below how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
- Your Nexus 6P should be running the stock version of Android Marshmallow.
- Also make sure to charge it up to 70% so it won’t shut down unexpectedly during the installation process.
Here at DoryLabs no one shall held any responsibility for any trouble you may encounter when installing Android 7.0 Nougat on Nexus 6P. Remember you’re doing this by yourself and don’t put the finger to anyone is something goes wrong.
How to update Nexus 6P to Android 7.0 NRD90M Nougat
Before going through the steps to install Android 7.0 Nougat on Nexus 6P you will need to unlock bootloader first. If you are sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked, skip this step.
How to unlock Nexus 6P bootloader
If you don’t already know, bootloader is a security feature. It requires that your device be completely wiped when unlocking it. So if you don’t want to lose your files, save them somewhere else.
If you make up your mind and backed up your files read below to unlock Nexus 6P bootloader.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options, make sure ‘OEM Unlocking is checked’.
- Use the following command to go to your device bootloader and check if it’s locked or not.
adb reboot bootloader
If your Nexus 6P has a locked bootloader you will need to unlock it. Make sure the device is still in the bootloader screen and use the following code:
fastboot oem unclock
After typing this code and pressing Enter you will see some command prompts on your device, just to confirm that you do want to unlock bootloader. Confirm this and your device will be completely wiped and the bootloader unlocked.
Now go to the next steps to update your Nexus 6P to Android 7.0 Nougat.
How to install Android 6.0 Factory Image on Nexus 6P
- Download the zip files from the link above.
- Put it to the ADB/Fastboot directory, it should be in the Android SDK directory.
- I would recommend to rename the file to something like nougat.zip for easier reference.
- Turn off your device and boot it into Bootloder Mode. Press and hold Volume up + Volume Down + Power button.
- Press Volume Down few times until you see Recovery Mode. Use the Power key to select it.
- Your Nexus 6P will reboot and enter in Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery Mode you will see Android logo with an exclamation mark. Hold the Power key and press Volume Up once to enter the menu. Navigate using volume keys and select using power key.
- Navigate to Apply update from ADB.
Now connect your phone to your computer through an USB cable
- On the computer go to: android-sdk-window\platform-tools directory. In this directory you should have saved also the nougat.zip file.
- Open a Command Prompt on this directory; press Shift + Right Click and a command prompt window will open.
- Type the following line of code and press enter.
adb sideload nougat.zip
- If you are using a Mac type the following comand.
./adb sideload nougat.zip
- Wait for the installation to finish and also using the volume keys navigate to Reboot System Now.
- Reboot your phone and wait for it to turn on.
The first boot may take more time than usually because it needs to configure the system for first time use. It may take over 10 minutes so be patient.
If you have any question feel free to ask us in the comment section below. We would be happy to assist you further on any issue you may have.