Android 5.1 Lollipop has hit the second generation of Moto G. It’s not an official update but it’s the latest build of CyanogenMod ROM based on Lollipop 5.1. The CyanogenMod 12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM can be installed right away on your Moto G 2014.
The CyanogenMod 12.1 is based on the latest Android version and contains all the features and optimisations of it. Besides the minor bug fixes Android 5.1 fixed also the Memory Leak issue found on 5.0 Lollipop.
The build for for Moto G is made available thanks to a XDA Senior Member called as “Luca020400”. He released this build for Moto G but the ROM is in the early stage and some small bugs may exists. Until now nothing serious is reported so it’s a good possibility to use it as a daily driver.
Note: I am not responsible for bricked device or any other issue you may have with your phone after trying to install the ROM. We only provide the guide but only you can decide to go further. So if you want to go and install CyanogenMod 12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop proceed at your own risk.
Getting Things Ready
- The CyanogenMod ROM you will find here is only for Moto 2014, the second generation. Do not flash it on any other phone because it might result in bricking your device.
- I recommend to do a backup before starting to install Android 5.1 on Moto G. If you haven’t already backed up your ROM, I suggest you to do a Nandroid backup because it will create a full copy of your system.
- Make sure the phone is charged at least to 60% so it will not shut down unexpectedly during the ROM installation. If it goes dead will result in soft bricking and you need to flash a stock firmware.
- Make sure you have already rooted your phone. If not then you have to root it and then go ahead to the next step.
- Install a Custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM. It will be needed to flash the ROM. Every Android device has a recovery installed by default but it doesn’t allow you to perform much actions. While a Custom Recovery allow you to flash zip files like Mods and ROMs.
- CyanogenMod 12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop for Moto G 2014. Downlod ROM here.
- Google Apps (Gapps) for Lollipop 5.1. Download here.
How To Update Moto G 2014 To Android 5.1 Lollipop With Cyanogen 12.1 ROM
- Download both ROM and Gapps somewhere on your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot it into Custom Recovery.
- Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, Wipe Data and Factory Reset.
- Install ROM zip file.
- Install Gapps.
The first boot may take a while since Android 5.1 is a big update, the device need time to configure the system. Wait for it and then enjoy Android 5.1 Lollipop on Moto G and all thanks to CyanogenMod community.