Nexus 6P is already here and we are going to learn how to customize to make it fits our needs. Today’s guide will explain you step by step how to install a Custom ROM on your Nexus 6P. If you are here it means that you have been using Android for a long time and you already know the importance of a Custom ROM. Even if you are completely a beginner this guide is still for you.
A Custom ROM is a modified firmware by developers to ad more features on the device, to increase performance, delete pre-installed apps, increase battery life and for many other reason. However Nexus 6P is a new device in the market and you doesn’t really need to install a Custom ROM on it. Powered by Android 6.0 Marshmallow Nexus 6P doesn’t seem to suffer from any performance issue.
As I previously said it’s a new device and the developers haven’t created any Custom ROM for this device yet. However they will do it soon and once a stable ROM is announced you can start trying it on your device. We will keep you updated with anything related to Nexus 6P so better be in touch with us. The best way to receive the latest news is to subscribe to our mailing list.
Even though there is no Custom ROM available for Nexus 6P the steps to install one remains the same. So as soon you find a Custom ROM available for your device come back here and follow carefully all the steps below. Installing a Custom ROM on Nexus 6P is very easy and any one can do it.
- Before doing any changes to your system make sure you have backed up all your important data and files. It’s recommended always because things may go wrong and you will lose everything. We suggest doing a Nandroid backup but you can use third-party apps also.
- Charge your device up to 70% so it won’t turn off during the process otherwise it will result in soft bricking your device and you will need a lot of work to fix this issue.
- Install a Custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM. You can install one using ADB & Fastboot. If you haven’t installed already a Custom Recovery check our guide.
Your warranty will be voided and you may not get any free service from the supplier. Here at DoryLabs no one shall held any kind of responsibility if you get any trouble with your device. Just do it on your own risk.
How To Install a Custom ROM On Nexus 6P
- Download your favourite ROM zip file and move it somewhere on your computer. If you downloaded it to PC than you have to transfer it on your phone internal memory. Sometimes the proper USB drivers are needed so your computer recognize the phone.
- Download the proper Google apps and move them also in your phone internal memory.
- Turn off your phone and boot it into Recovery. To do that press Volume Down + Power Key at the same time.
- Once you enter into recovery is highly recommended to do a Nandroid backup.
- After performing Nandroid backup, go back to the main menu of Recovery and then Wipe Data, System, Cache, Dalvik Cache.
- Now go to install option and select the ROM zip file you have already downloaded and put on your internal memory.
- Once the installation of the ROM finishes go back to main menu and install Google Apps.
- Wait for Google apps being installed and the go back to main menu and reboot your phone.
That’s all! Now you have to wait for a while until your phone will turn on. This is the first boot and it may take a while because the system is configuring the right files and being ready to use for the first time. Sometimes it may take more than 10 minutes so just give it the proper time and after a while your Nexus 6P will ready to use. If you come across bootloops or any other issue than restore the backup of your previous ROM. If you have any other question feel free to ask in the comment section below.