Samsung recently released the source code of Exynos variant of the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. So the guys behind the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) has released a build of TWRP for the Exynos variant of these phones. TWRP is the best custom recovery for Android devices and offers plenty of features over the stock recovery.
If you already got the device and want to install the TWRP recovery on the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus don’t look any further. Below you will wind a step by step guide how to download TWRP recovery for Galaxy S8 and how to install it. If you are and Android freak like us and wanna play a bit with your beast, it’s a good choice to get the recovery and root the phone.
Galaxy S8 is Samsung’s flagship phone of 2017 and it comes with a plethora of new features and optimizations over the previous Galaxy devices. It has great specifications and some people may think why do we have to root the phone and get a recovery when it has such specs and there is no need to customise it to increase performance?
But if you are an Android freak you may want to try new things such as installing Custom ROMs and Recoveries, something you can’t do with a stock recovery.
Warning: We shall not hold any kind of responsibilities if you run into any trouble by installing the recovery on your device. It is tested and works fine, however, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be careful. Follow all the steps below. If you don’t know what this is all about then you better do some research and come back here to download TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus.
Galaxy S8 (dreamlte)
Galaxy S8 Plus (dream2lte)
Before getting started with the installation of the TWRP custom recovery on the Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus you need to take care of few things if you don’t want to run into troubles.
Here it goes, do these things before going any further:
- Install the proper Samsung USB drivers on your computer. You need them so the computer will recognise the phone. Find the link to get them in the download section below.
- Enable “USB Debugging“. Go to Settings > About Phone and tap several times on “Build Number.” It will enable “Developer Options“. Go to “Developer Options > USB Debugging and check the box.
- Under “Developer Options” enable also “OEM Unlock“.
- Last but not least charge your phone up to 70% just to make sure it won’t shut down unexpectedly during the installation. You may end up in software problems if it does.
- USB Drivers
- TWRP for Galaxy S8: twrp-3.1.0-1-dreamlte.img.tar
- TWRP for Galaxy S8 Plus: twrp-3.1.0-1-dream2lte.img.tar
- ODIN flash tool
How to install TWRP Custom Recovery on Exynos Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus
- Turn off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down + Power key alongside with Bixby button for few seconds.
- Once the phone boots into download mode, connect it to PC using an USB cable. Make sure the USB drivers are installed correctly and the computer recognises the phone.
- Launch ODIN flash tool and check the ID:COM. It should be blue otherwise your phone isn’t connected properly. You have to check the USB cable or reinstall the drivers.
- On ODIN click on the AP Tab and select the TWRP recovery zip file corresponding to your phone. Download links above.
- Click START and wait for the process to finish.
When it’s done the phone will reboot automatically. Once it turns on you can boot the Galaxy S8 into TWRP recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up + Power key + Bixby button at the same time. Enjoy the TWRP recovery on the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus.
If you want to ask and share something with us feel free to write in the comment section below.