The most popular ROM is updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. I am talking about CyanogenMod. Its latest version the CyanogenMod 13 is based on Android 6.0 and it made its own way to Nexus 6.
The ROM it’s not released officially yet but still it brings the experience of Android 6.0 on your Nexus 6. The ROM is developed by a recognized developer not by the official team of CM so it is considered in an alpha stage and might not be fully working. Even though most of the function are working properly we still do not recommend using this build of CM as your daily driver.
We recommend this ROM only for those who like to mess up with their devices and want to try the newest feature first. Your Nexus 6 will be one of the first devices that will receive a OTA update of Android 6.0 as soon as it becomes available and ready to use. However if you can’t wait to receive the OTA update than you can install CM 13 but keep in mind that VoLTE and some of the CyanogenMod features are not working.
Download CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow for Nexus 6
Getting things ready
- You should root your phone. If you haven’t done yet than follow our guide.
- Install a Custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM. If you haven’t installed yet here is a guide to install TWRP on Nexus 6.
- Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow Google Apps (Gapps).
How to install CM 13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Nexus 6
- Download both CM13 ROM and Google Apps and put them somewhere on your phone.
- Turn off your phone and boot into recovery. To do so press Volume Down + Power buttons to enter in Bootloader Mode.
- From there select Recovery.
- Once your phone boot into Recovery it’s recommended to do a Nandroid backup just to be safe in case if anything goes wrong.
- Once the backup is done, Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik Cache.
- Go back to main menu of the Recovery and navigate to Install.
- Choose CM13 ROM you have downloaded and confirm the installation.
- Do the same thing with Google Apps.
- Now go back to main menu and select Reboot.
Now your Nexus 6 will boot into CyanogenMod 13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The first boot may last more than usually but this is nothing to worry. Wait for you phone to turn on and it will be running Android 6.0.