The first step towards customizing your device in-depth is to get root access and then install a custom recovery. Once you root your phone you have a full control over it and can do whatever you want. For every device, there is a different root method and we have covered various devices in out root section. So if you have another device you may check the Android > Root category and there you will find a plethora of guides for different devices.
Also, there is a section for custom recoveries too. In this post, we will share with you a full step by step guide how to install TWRP Recovery and then root the Huawei P9 Lite.
Table of Contents
Here at Dorylabs, we don’t hold any kind of responsibility if you run into any issues. Every method and file we share here is tested before but this doesn’t mean issues can’t happen if you don’t be careful and follow every step. Also, if you don’t know what root and a custom recovery is you should make a research first. The method below is tested by numerous people and it works perfectly but anyhow, please do everything at your own risk.
- Charge your phone up to %60 so it won’t turn on unexpectedly during the process. Also, make sure to use the original USB cable.
- Install the proper USB drivers on your computer otherwise, it may not recognize the phone. You can find the USB drivers here.
- Unlock Bootloader. Huawei P9 Lite comes with a locked bootloader and you need to unlock it. No worries, it’s pretty simple and we have made for you a quick guide to unlock the bootloader on Huawei P9 Lite.
- Save your important files such a photos, videos, documents and so on just in case.
How to install TWRP recovery on Huawei P9 Lite
- Download the file from the link above and unzip it.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into Fastboot mode. If you don’t know what adb and fastboot are then you can check our ultimate guide to learn more about them.
- Once you connect your phone to PC via the USB cable, make sure to check the computer has recognized it. You need to type “fastboot devices” and check if your phone is on the list.
- If the phone is connected and the computer recognizes it then type this code to install the recovery “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img”
- Then the TWRP Recovery will be installed. Next type the following code “fastboot reboot”
- The phone will reboot and the TWRP recovery will be successfully installed.
How to root Huawei P9 Lite with SuperSU
- On the link on the download section above, there is a file named Root-SuperSU-v2.65.
- Download it and move somewhere on your phone internal storage.
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into recovery using the proper key combination. Press and hold Volume Up + Power Button. You should change the language to English because the recovery is in Chinese. Go to the 6th menu, it should be one from last and select English.
- Once you have changed the language go back to recovery main menu and navigate to the install section.
- Select the SuperSu file you downloaded and flash it.
- Check if SuperSu is installed, if not try to flash it again. It surely will be working the second time.
- Reboot the phone and you’re all set. SuperSU will be stable now.
Now you have successfully installed TWRP and rooted your Huawei P9 Lite. If you have any other question feel free to ask in the comment section below. Also, please share your experience with this method.