If you are using a Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Pixel device or any of the supported Nexus device you can install the official Android Pie 9.0 OTA update.
Normally, your phone should receive an OTA update automatically but if for any reason it doesn’t you can easily sideload the official OTA image. There is no need for those long guides where you need to unlock bootloader and wipe the device if you want to install the official firmware.
I’m assuming you already know what an OTA image is so I’m going straight to the steps to install it.
This guide is only for Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL and for the supported Google Nexus devices. You will see the supported devices on the download site. Here at DoryLabs, we don’t hold any kind of responsibility if you run into troubles. We will try to do our best to assist you with every issue with your device but remember you are doing this at your own risk.
Before you start installing and OTA Image to your device you need to:
- Go to Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
If you don’t see the Developer Option you need to activate it.
Take your phone and go to Setting > About Phone > Build Number and tap 7 times on it. A message will appear on your screen saying “You’re now a developer”.
Return to the previous screen and you will now see the Developer Option near the bottom of the menu. Open it and enable USB Debugging.
After that, you need to install the proper USB Drivers.
If you are using a Mac OS X just skip this step.
- Make sure that there is no pending OTA Update. Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates, it should say “Your system is up to date”.
- Download the appropriate Android 9 Pie OTA Image for your device.
- You need to properly install adb tool. You can download it here.
Verify the checksum of the image: the OTA mechanism has a built-in validation feature, but verifying will save you some time if the file is incomplete. The last portion of the filename is the first 8 digits of its SHA-256 checksum; the full SHA-256 checksum is also shown next to the download link.
To officially update your device to the official Android 9 Pie you need first to download the OTA Image.
How to install Android Pie 9.0 OTA Update on Google Pixel and Nexus Devices
When you are set up with the adb tool and the USB Driver follow the steps below to install official Android 9 Pie on your device.
- Plug your device into the computer using the original USB cable.
- If you haven’t use adb before, go to the adb guide mentioned above and learn how to use it.
- Go to the adb folder and right-click on a blank space while holding the shift button.
- Execute the following code to reboot the device into recovery:
abd reboot recovery
- If you’re unable to use the above code to boot your device into recovery, use the proper key combination instead.
- Once your phone boots into the recovery, run the following code to verify if the computer has recognized the phone.
- If your phone is connected you will see it listed there with “sideload” next to its name.
- Next, run the following command:
adb sideload ota_file.zip
- ota_file.zip is the name of the OTA file you have downloaded.
- Once the update finishes, choose the Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
The Android 9 Pie is now installed on your Google Nexus or Pixel device. If you have any question feel free to ask in the comments below.