If you’re still using a Galaxy S2 or simply wanna play a bit with Custom ROMs, here you’re going to find OmniROM. This build is based on Android Lollipop and brings all its features including Material Design. The Galaxy S2 has so much support because it was a device that made a revolution in the smartphone industry. Samsung sold more than 20 million units worldwide and this was a record breaker at the time. Being quite a popular device, developers have developed and released Custom ROMs for this device and OmniROM is one of the best choices you will find around.
With new releases of Galaxy S line smartphones, Samsung stopped supporting the Galaxy S2. After receiving the Jelly Bean update it didn’t get any more OTA updates from Samsung. Even though you can’t get the OTA updates and official TouchWiz firmware, still you can taste the features of newer Android versions by installing Custom ROMs.
In this post, you will learn step by step how to install OmniROM Android 5.0 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy S2. The developer of this ROM stated that it was in the early stage but will probably be stable enough to use as a daily driver. Below you will find a link to download the ROM but we do not hold any kind of responsibility for this work. It is developed by other developers and you should check in their thread for the latest updates.
So, if you have made your mind and want to get Android Lollipop on Galaxy S2 by installing Omni ROM, go ahead and read further:
Table of Contents
- This ROM will work only on Samsung S2 I9100. Go to Settings >> About Device and check your phone model number. Make sure it matches the one mentioned above. Do not try on other devices because you may end up with a bricked device and this is something you won’t like.
- Charge the phone’s battery up to 70% so it will not shut down unexpectedly during the ROM installation. If it does you will get a soft bricked device.
- Root and install a custom recovery on your Galaxy S2.
- To be safe we strongly recommend doing a backup. You can make a Nandroid backup via recovery or simply save your personal files somewhere else.
If you don’t know what a Custom ROM is you should make a research first. Even though the files we share like ROMs, Recoveries and more are tested if you don’t be careful you may face issues. You should do all this at your own responsibility and do not put the finger on anyone is something goes wrong.
How To Install OmniROM Android 5.0 On Samsung Galaxy S2.
You may have installed different Custom Recover like CWM, PhilZ or TWRP, so below you are going to find guides for each custom recoveries.
CWM & PhilZ Users
- Download the files above and copy them to the root folder of sd card.
- Turn off the device.
- Boot into Recovery. Press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons.
- Backup your ROM using Recovery. Navigate to Back-up and Restore and chose Back-up again.
- Once Back-up is complete go again to the main screen.
- Navigate to advance and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache, so you won’t get in any boot loop.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Go back to the main screen and navigate to Install zip from sd card then select choose zip from sd card.
- Select OnmiROM.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, you will be promoted to Reboot System Now.
- Tap on Back-Up and select System and Data
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider.
- Tap on Wipe Button and Select Cache, System, Data.
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider.
- Go back to Main Menu and Tap Install Button.
- Find the OnmiROM.zip, Gapps.zip and Swipe the Slider to install it.
- Once the Installation is over, you will be promoted to Reboot System Now.
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
Solve Signature Verification Error
- Open Recovery and navigate to Install Zip From sdcard.
- Go to Toggle Signature Verification and press Power Button and see if it is disabled or not. Disable it and then Install the Zip without any Error.
- Reboot your phone. It might take up to 5 minutes so once it’s booted, you will have OmniROM Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Galaxy S2.