Huawei Y5 is a good device. For the price it has definitely it worth buying. It’s not a popular phone so there is not lot of support from developers. However to get started, this phone has received a build of TWRP Recovery and in this guide we will focus how to install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Y5 (Y560-L01, L02, L03, U23).
We found the proper files and created this guide to help you get started tweaking your Huawei Y5. If you follow the steps carefully you will end up installing a build of TWRP on your device.
Please note: It’s recommended to backup all your important files because this will wipe everything. If you have important files such as photos, videos, documents and so on, save them somewhere else if you don’t wanna lose them.
How to install TWRP 3.0.2 Custom Recovery on Huawei Y5 (Y560-L01, L02, L03, U23)
- Backup all your important files because this guide will wipe everything.
- Download and install the proper USB drivers for Huawei on yous computer. If you are using Linux then you should set up udev rules.
- Download and install Android SDK and tools also platform-tools to get ADB and Fastboot.
- Download the recovery file from the link below. It should be something like this recovery-twrpxxxx-y560.img. Rename it to Recovery.img
- Create a new directory and copy there adb.exe, fastboot.exe and recovery.img.
- Take your phone and go to Settings > Developer Options > Android Debugging & Settings > Developer Options > OEM Unlocking
- Connect your phone to PC using a USB cable and if it asks to install the drivers, do it.
- Open a Terminal Window, change into the directory you created and that has the files inside and type the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- Unlocking bootloader will wipe your device.
- Now type this code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
- Boot recovery image to make a clean backup of your firmware.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Reboot back to bootloader and then flash recovery image to recovery partition.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Do not install official updates from Huawei website using Recovery. You will need to repack them if you wanna install using TWRP or simply use stock recovery to install them.