Here is a simple guide how to get on-screen virtual navigation buttons on any Samsung Galaxy device running TouchWiz ROM.
- Samsung Galaxy device
- TouchWiz ROM
- Android version from 4.1 to 4.4.4.
Note: You can experiment even in other devices and different Android version, but result may vary. Do it with your own risk because we are not responsible for anything happen to your phone. Remember to make always a Nandroid backup before doing experiments, so even if anything goes wrong you still can access your data and restore them.
Ho to enable on-screen virtual navigation buttons on any TouchWiz ROM for Galaxy devices.
- Download and install a File Explorer app with root permissions (ES File Manager with Root Explorer enabled).
- Go to /system
- Open build.prop file
- Edit this file and add this code at the bottom – qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
- Save the edited file
- Exit and Reboot.
After on-screen keys are appeared do not disable hardware keys using any other current mod, because they may be needed in rare instances where an app can’t force immersive mode. We suggest you only to turn off the light of touch keys under Display Settings. It will look like your phone doesn’t have hardware keys but actually they are there and in specific cases they might be useful.
How to force immersive mode for apps where navigation bar doesn’t appears:
- Download and install Xposed Framework from here.
- Download App Settings mod.
- Activate it.
- Open App Settings and select the app you want to force immersive mode and then select Immersive under full screen option.
- Save the new settings.
- Launch the app.
Additional Goodie: Now you can get Android Lollipop style navigation bar using the Xposed mod “Lollipop Navigation Bar”