It is a well-known fact that rooting a Samsung device isn’t easy. The security patch of Samsung KNOX won’t allow users to root the device and if the attempt has been made it leads to tripping of KNOX which will further lead to the annulment of warranty. Besides tripping it also disables the Samsung Pay app. No matter how much users try they can’t bring the old KNOX back.
The same thing happened with Samsung Galaxy Note 8. A lot of research has been done to root the device and mostly all trials have been failed. Developers have found a new way to root the Exynos version earlier and now they had even found an option to root Snapdragon version too. This rooting method is known as SamFAIL.
Here is the step by step procedure to root Snapdragon Galaxy Note 8 without tripping KNOX
Table of Contents
You should flash both system and firmware in order to root the system and here a step by step guide how to do it.
Flashing of Note 8 System File
- The link provided above is the zip file of the system file, download it.
- Extract the contents provided in the zip file.
- Turn off the device.
- Now press the volume down button, power button and Bixby button in the same time
- Now the device will boot into download mode.
- Connect the device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Launch Odin on the computer.
- Open the AP slot and select the image file named “system .tar”, which is a pre-rooted image file.
- Download the pit file by going into PIT box in the system.
- Go to options and enable the following
- Auto Reboot
- NAND ERASE ALL
- Reset Time
- Have a look at all the downloaded files and options to be enabled.
- After making sure that all are in place, you can proceed to the next step.
- Now click the START button.
- You can see FAIL on the ODIN, but don’t worry about is as the program has already been written the files.
Now its time to proceed to the next step of flashing the firmware.
Flashing of Note 8 Firmware
- After flashing the system file, reboot the Note 8 back into the download mode.
- Download the Note8_SamFAIL_Firmware and CSC file of the device.
- Both the files are in zip format hence you should extract in order to use them.
- To reset the ODIN for new flashing process click on reset button.
- You will find a set of files in firmware zip file after extracting it. They are named as
- Put these files on Odin by clicking on AP and selecting each file in an alphabetical order as stated above.
- Select the .tar file which has been extracted on CSC.
- Now just enable the below two files only and disable the remaining files.
- Reset Time
- Auto Reboot
- Click on the start button
- Wait till the flashing process is completed.
- The phone will boot up as usual.
- Launch SuperSU and update the binary in the normal method.
Here you have the rooted version of Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Snapdragon device.
Here the point to be noted is this method has been worked for Samsung Galaxy Note8 US Snapdragon version. Although developers claim that it will work on all Snapdragon devices, it isn’t sure yet.
There are some minor disadvantages in rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 8 device, they are
- This procedure breaks the safety net of the device.
- The phone is charging up to 80% on the mobile capacity. Some users are claiming that it is just the display issue and the battery is getting charged completely.