In this guide, we will walk through a step by step guide to root the Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge on Android Nougat. The Korean tech giant has equipped the US variants of the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge with a Snapdragon 820 while the international variant has Samsung’s Exynos 88900 octa-core chipset.
So basically this guide works only for the US variants of Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The root method works on all the Qualcomm Snapdragon variants including here all the carriers, T-Mobile (SM-935T, SM-930T), Verizon SM-930V, SM-935V), AT&T (SM-930A, SM-935A), and Sprint (SM-930P, SM-935P).
Check your phone model number simply by going to Settings > About Phone and if it’s on the list above you are good to go and root the Galaxy S7 and install SuperSU.
We won’t hold any kind of responsibility if your device takes fire, you break up with your girlfriend or simply if you end up with a bricked device. Remember you are doing this at your own risk and it’s only your responsibility if something goes wrong so make sure to follow all the steps carefully.
How to root and install SuperSu on Snapdragon Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge – USA Variants
The first thing you have to do is to download the right files you will need for a successful root.
- ENG Root File | ENG-Root-USA.zip
- Odin3 v3.12 | Odin3 v3.12 (PrinceComsy).zip
- SuperSU 2.79 | S7Root_Unroot_SU_2_79.zip
- Android ADB Drivers
- USB Drivers
Here is how to root Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge
Warning: Do not try this method on the non-Snapdragon variants of the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. You might brick your device if you try to do so. Again make sure to be careful following the steps below and do not put the finger on anyone if something goes wrong.
The tutorial below might be somewhat complicated for those users who are not experienced with flashing files, but if you carefully follow the procedure everyone can root their device with no problems.
- Install USB drivers otherwise the computer will not recognizse the phone.
- Download and configure ADB drivers because you won’t be able to root your phone.
- Take your phone and turn it off. Then press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power Button to boot the device into download mode.
- Open Odin flash tool and then connect the phone to the computer using the original USB cable. Check the ID:COM box. If the computer recognises the phone it should become blue. If not, you should check the USB drivers of the cable.
- Extract “ENG-Root-USA.zip“. You will get two files named “S7edge_qualcomm.tar” and “S7_qualcomm.tar“.
- On Odin, click on the AP Tab and select the file which corresponds to your device, Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.
- Click Start and it will flash the file. When it finishes the phone will reboot automatically.
- Download SuperSu from the link above and unzip “S7Root_Unroot_SU_2_79.zip“. On the folder where you extracted the file, press “Shift” and right-click with your mouse, Select “Open command window here”.
- A Command Prompt window will open. Type this code: “root.bat”.
- It will root your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge and the phone will restart.
Once the phone boots up, go to app drawer and you will notice SuperSU installed. If you have questions feel free to ask in the comment section below.