How To Root Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Without Tripping KNOX
KNOX is a feature that Samsung has included in its latest Galaxy devices. It is some kind of a spier which shows if you have rooted your phone or not. It has a value which is by default 0x0 but if you root your phone it will change to 0x1 and you can’t do anything to reset it.
The good thing is that you can root your phone without triggering KNOX, so if you can’t reset the value you can let it unchanged. Unfortunately the most popular rooting methods trigger KNOX, so developers have created new rooting methods which will keep this value unchnged.
The application which will root you Galaxy Note 3 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat or Newer is called Towelroot and is developed by a XDA Developer named Geohot. Don’t download the app and start to root the phone immediately because it doesn’t work on stock Samsung ROM. To learn how to make it work and to root your Galaxy Note 3 without tripping KNOX follow the steps below.
Note: I am not responsible for anything happens to your phone. This method consists on flashing files so anything can happen. You decided to mess up by your own so do it with your own risk.
- Download Towelroot from the official page, but don’t use it yet.
- Download XXUEND3 100% stock kernel. It’s a PC ODIN flashable file.
How to root Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat or newer
- Boot your phone into Download Mode.
- Open Odin on your computer.
- Connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Click on AP/PDA tab on Odin depending on the version you are using.
- Find the file you downloaded and select it.
- Click start and wait for start up your phone.
After these steps you can see that WiFi is not working but this is nothing to worry because we will fix it after restoring the original kernel that you will find below.To continue you will need a data connection.
- Run Towelroot app and you will see “Let it rain”, tap on it and wait for the app to do its own job. After that you can remove the app if you want.
- Download the kernel matched to the ROM you currently using. and flash it using Odin.
Check recent kernels for SM-N9005 version here. In the “Kernel_DX_VJ_ZH_ZT” folder you will find kernels for N9005DX, N9005VJ, N9005ZH, N9005ZT versions.
It is recommended to install SuperSU from Play Store.
That’s all. You phone is now rooted, fully working and with the KNOX value unchanged, 0x0.