You don’t have to own a high-end device to enjoy the latest features. If you are a Galaxy Mega user you may be disappointed by the fact that this device won’t receive Android Lollipop officially. Samsung has rolled out the update only for its latest flagship devices but Galaxy Mega isn’t in the lucky list.
It’s a pity that Galaxy Mega wasn’t in the list of devices that will receive further update from Samsung. It has some good specs and it’s a good budget phone. It comes with Android Jelly Bean and later it was updated to KitKat. Unfortunately this phone won’t receive further updates from Samsung.
If you own a Galaxy Mega and want to taste Lollipop the only way is to install a Custom ROM. CyanogenMod 12.1 has landed on Galaxy Mega and you can install it right away. The ROM is based on stock Android ROMs so after installing it your phone will be like a new device. There will be no sing of TouchWiz and those annoying Samsung bloatware.
Getting Things Ready
- The CyanogenMod ROM you are going to find here is only for Samsung Galaxy Mega Dual GT-I9152. Do no try to install it on any other device because it will result in bricked your device and you don’t want to mess up with that.
- Your phone must be rooted and you should install a Custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM. It is needed to flash the ROM and Google Apps for Android 5.1.
- Always make a backup of your current ROM, so even if anything goes wrong you still can access your files and restore the ROM. I recommend doing a Nandroid backup because it will create a full copy of your system including all your personal files and app options also.
- Charge your phone up to 70% so it will not shut down unexpectedly during the installation of CyanogenMod 12.1 Lollipop 5.1 on your Galaxy Grand Mega. If the phone goes dead it will result in soft bricked.
We shall not held any responsible for any trouble with your device. This method involves in flashing files so if you do not have enough information about Custom ROMs, root and recoveries go and do a little search. But if you have taken your mind and want to proceed with the installation of Android 5.1 Lollipop on Galaxy Grand Mega follow the step by step guide below.
How To Update Galaxy Grand Mega To Android 5.1.1 Lollipop With CyanogenMod 12.1 Custom ROM
- Download both CyanogenMod 12.1 and Gapps for Android 5.1.
- Put them on your phone Internal Storage.
- Turn off your phone and boot into Recovery by pressing Volume Up + Home + Power Button.
- Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache.
- Go back to main menu and select install.
- Choose the ROM zip file and press OK.
- Do the same thing with Gapps for 5.1.
- Reboot your phone.
The first boot may take a while because CyanogenMod 12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop is a huge update. Just wait for the phone to turn on and it will be running Android 5.1 Lollipop.