It’s time to update HTC One S to Android 5.0 Lollipop. It’s not an official update but a custom ROM. It’s the latest CyanogenMod version based on Android Lollipop for HTC One S. This is the best of Android, that is an open-source and even those devices which don’t have anymore support from the manufactures, still can be updated to the latest Android version through Custom ROMs.
CyanogenMod ROMs are the most popular Custom ROMs. Once a new Android Version is announced, the CyanogenMod Team announce a Custom ROMs based on the latest Android. The next CyanogenMod ROM is based on Android Lollipop, which is not released yet for all the latest flagship devices. On the other hand CyanogenMod 12 based on Lollipop has a few time that is released for the latest devices. Now it is ported to second hand devices. We have seen it ported to many devices which are not supported anymore by their manufacture.
This time HTC One S is the lucky device to receive CyanogenMod 12 Android Lollipop. The whole ROM seems to be perfect expect some bugs. You will experience issue while calling, but it easily can be fixed if you reboot your device. WiFi hotspot is not working, also the Location Notifier in status bar seems to have some problems. Everything else in this ROM works fine, so if you like Lollipop you can use this ROM as daily driver. So if you want to install CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop in your HTC One S don’t lose time and go ahead with the guide below to install it.
- This Custom ROM is only for HTC One S. Don’t try to install it in any other device because it will result in phone bricking. So don’t try it in other devices.
- This is Custom ROM and need a rooted device and a Custom Recovery Installed. So before going to the next steps, make a litlle search around the internet to find any guide to root your HTC One S and install a Custom Recovery.
- Battery should be charged more than 70%. If not the phone will go dead during the flashing process. If it goes dead the the phone will result in soft brick. Then you need to install a stock firmware and wipe the data as well.
- Make a backup just to be safe. If something goes wrong you will have access to your data and can restore them. The procedure is tested an it works fine, but who knows things can happen.
Note: This procedure involved in flashing Custom Recoveries, rooting the phone and installing a Custom ROM. So do it with your own responsibility. You decided to mess up with your phone by your own so it’s only your responsibility if something goes wrong, so be careful to follow all the steps below.
How To Install CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop On HTC One S
- First of all make sure you have configured properly adb/fastboot on your PC.
- Then download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop from here. Gaaps from here.
- Extract the zip file and look for the kernel folder.
- Inside the Kernel folder find a file named boot.img and copy it to the Fastboot folder.
- Turn off your phone and enter bootloader/fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Button.
- Now open Command Prompt in fastboot folder. Hold Shift Key and right-click anywhere in fastboot folder.
- Type the following command: fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter.
- Then type the command: fastboot reboot
- Connect your device to PC and Copy the above zip files.
- Then open Recovery Mode. Connect your device to PC and in fastboot folder open Command Promt and type this code: adb reboot bootloader. From bootloader choose Recovery.
- Make sure to have USB Debuging enabled. Go to Settings > Developer Option > and check the box of USB Debuging. If you can find Developer Option, go to Settings > About Phone > and tap 7 times on build number.
Once You Open Recovery
- Backup your ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and choose Backup again.
- After backup is complete go back to Main Screen and navigate to Advance and choose Wipe Dalvik Chace, so your device won’t stuck in bootloop.
- Then select Wipe Data and Factory Reset
- Go to Install zip from SDcard and choose CyanogenMod 12.zip you downloaded and click confirm.
- Go back again and install Google Apps.zip
- Select Reboot Now and wait for the system to reboot. It might take a long time like 20 minutes ore more so don’t worry, just wait wait for your phone to boot.
- That’s all. You have successfully installed CyanogenMod Android 5.0 Lollipop on your HTC One S.