Samsung Galaxy S8 is one of the best flagship phones released in 2017. With its bezel-less display and beautiful design, it made many heads turn towards it. Its build quality, features, software, and security, everything is just perfect. Samsung pushes updates regularly to provide a safe and secure environment to the users.
Samsung Galaxy S8 was launched with Android Nougat and there are some rumors from trusted sources that Android Oreo update will be released soon. But there is an issue which is bugging the users while updating software. For some of the users whenever they try to update the software through OTA, they find an error named “Software Update Failed”.
It is slightly disappointing to know that users are unable to solve the issue. But don’t worry, these simple and sorted out solutions are to your rescue to fix Galaxy S8 software update failed error.
These are the three solutions which can help you in solving this update error issue.
- By wiping cache
- Using Samsung Smart Switch
- Flashing software using ODIN
Wiping cache is the one-stop solution for hundred problems. Cleaning the cache on your phone will give the device a fresh start. This is the easiest and convenient method used by many users to solve the software update failure issue in Samsung Galaxy S8.
Here is a step by step guide how to wipe cache on Galaxy S8
- Turn off the device and press and hold the Power button, Volume Up and Bixby at the same time.
- The phone will boot into Recovery Mode.
- On the Recovery Mode use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Navigate to Wipe Cache Partition and select it.
- Once it’s done reboot the phone.
When the phone is turned on try to update it again. Probably you will not find any software update failed error Galaxy S8.
Samsung Smart Switch
Smart Switch is the official tool launched by Samsung for the users to update and manage the Samsung Galaxy devices. It helps in sharing the images between devices, updating firmware and to transfer data from iPhones to Samsung Galaxy devices. The Software Update Failure error can be fixed using Samsung Smart Switch and here is the step by step guide.
- Install Samsung Smart Switch on your computer.
- Open it and connect your Galaxy device to PC using a USB cable.
- Smart Switch will take a minute or two to recognize the device and allow permissions on you device if any needed.
- On your PC, click on more option on the top right corner of the screen.
- There select Emergency Software Recovery and initialization option.
- You’re directed to the firmware installation screen.
- Read and follow the instructions carefully.
- Now you will be able to update the software without any issues.
Flashing Update via ODIN
Odins is a flash tool used to install the stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy devices.
- The right USB drivers for computer
- ODIN flash tool. Search on Google to download it.
- Go to Sammobile and download the proper firmware according to your phone model number.
- Install the USB drivers from the link above.
- Download ODIN on your computer.
- Turn off your device but make sure you have saved all your important files such as photos, videos and so on because after flashing the firmware everything will be deleted.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power Button + Bixby at the same time and your device will boot into Download Mode.
- Open ODIN on your computer and connect the phone via a USB Cable.
- Once the device is connected check the ID:COM box on ODIN. It should turn blue. If not the computer hasn’t recognized the phone. You may need to reinstall the USB drivers or use another USB cable.
- Once the computer recognizes the phone click on the AP/PDA tab on ODIN and select the firmware you downloaded. It should have the .tar.md extension.
- Select it and click the START button.
- It will take approximately 10 minutes to flash the firmware. Just wait. The phone will reboot automatically when it’s done.