In this post, I will walk you through a step by step guide on how to install a factory image on Google Pixel and Nexus devices.
Factory images come in handy when you have installed a Custom ROM on your device and wish to return back to the factory state.
In this post, you will find the original Nexus and Pixel Android 9 Pie factory firmware.
If you haven’t installed a custom build but simply you want to get Android 9 Pie on your device it’s easier to download and sideload the OTA Images.
Installing a factory image will delete everything on your device. Before installing a factory image you will need to unlock the bootloader which will make your device less secure. Here at DoryLabs, we do not hold any kind of responsibility if you run into troubles. We would be happy to assist you to solve your issues but remember you are doing this at your own risk and do not put the finger at anyone if something goes wrong.
How to install Android Pie 9 Factory Image on Google Pixel & Nexus devices
- Download and install fastboot & adb on your computer.
- Install the proper USB driver.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Back up any personal file because everything will be erased in the end.
How to flash the system image
- First, you need to download the appropriate system image and unzip it somewhere on your computer where you can easily find it.
- Connect your device to the computer using the original USB cable.
- Boot your device into fastboot mode. There are two ways to do this; either by pressing and holding at the same time the proper key combinations that depend on your device or you can use the adb tool by running the command below.
adb reboot bootloader
- You need to unlock the device bootloader. If your device is manufactured in 2015 or later such as Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, simply run the command below:
fastboot flashing unlock
- If you are using an older device, run this command:
fastboot oem unlock
- Navigate to the folder you have extracted the zip file and open a terminal window. Hold shift and right-click on a blank space.
- Execute the flash-all script. This script installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware, and operating system.
- Once the process is complete is advisable you should re-lock the bootloader. Simply use one of this commands fastboot flashing lock or fastboot oem lock.
- Reboot the device and you’re done. If you are facing issues you might
If you run into trouble and need more info and also to download Android 9 Pie Factory Images here.