Download and install the Android 5.0 Lollipop to Nexus 5 device. It’s not an official update from Google, you have to flash the factory image using Fastboot. We saw the initial Developer Preview build LPV79, but this is the final Developer Preview build LPX13D which contains the stock transformed apps and will be completing the overall design.
This update is much bigger than the previous one since it is improved. The new update is only for developers, so they can test their apps there. The Nexus 5 device will not receive Android 5.0 Lollipop officially so you have to install it manually, by following the guide below.
If this is your first time trying to install a custom ROM and mess with your device, I suggest you to read the whole article before trying it out. All the guide is simple and easy, more easy than installing other Custom ROM. You only have to flash a zip file via Fastboot, and that’s all. This update is only for Developer Preview so don’t install it if you plan to use it as a primary ROM. Becuase this is not an official release but a combo of official images. You need to have Bootloader unlocked to install this.
- This guide is only for Nexus 5 devices. Trying it on other devices can cause phone bricking.
- Battery should be at least 60% charged, so your phone will not go dead during the procedure. If it shuts down during the flashing process can cause software bricking. You need to install Stock ROM and wipe the data as well.
- Unlock Nexus 5 bootloader to continue with the procedure. There are a lot of article about unlocking Nexus 5 bootloader so it will not be difficult to find and useful guide.
- Backup everything. Backup is needed is anything goes wrong during the guide. This method is tested and it works fine but things could happen. So to be safe perform a backup.
Android 5.0 Image for Nexus 5: Link
Download and install Android SDK
Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Nexus 5:
- Turn of the phone and pres and hold Power + Volume Down buttons until the bootloader mode is open.
- Unzip the downloaded factory image file with .tgz extension. If this file doesn’t exist, change the file extension from .tar to .tgz.
- Open the extracted folder, you will find another zip file inside. Extract it too.
- Copy all the contents from azor-LPX13D to the Fastboot folder
- Connect your phone to PC.
- In fastboot directory execute the following according to the OS you are running.
- On Windows: Run the file “flash-all.bat”
- On Mac: Run the “flash-all.sh” using Terminal
- On Linux: Run the file “flash-all.sh”
Reboot your phone and that’s all. Your Nexus 5 device will turn on running Android 5.0 Lollipo Developer Preview.